History of Ankara University, Faculty of Agriculture, Department of Plant Protection dates back to 1947. In 1947, Prof. Dr. Selahattin Kuntay (Botany Department) and Prof. Dr. Bekir Alkan (Zoology Institute) appointed to the Plant Disease Institute, Faculty of Agriculture, Higher Agricultural Institute and the Plant Disease Institute started its academic activities.
İbrahim Akif Kansu and İbrahim Karaca graduated from Faculty of Agriculture of Higher Agricultural Institute in 1947 and in same year they started their academic career under the supervisions of Prof. Dr. Selahattin Kuntay and Prof. Dr. Bekir Alkan, respectively.
In 1948, Faculty of Agriculture joined to Ankara University and the name of Plant Disease Institute changed to Ankara University, Faculty of Agriculture, Chairship of Plant Protection. In 1961, with the law numbered 1750, Plant Protection Department established. Later on, in Plant Protection Department, Entomology Chairship and Phytopathology Chairship established and Prof. Dr. Zeliha Düzgüneş and Prof. Dr. Selahattin İren appointed as Entomology and Phytopathology Chairs, respectively. In 1982, with the law numbered 2547, Plant Protection Department established as two subdepartments, namely Entomology and Phytopathology sections and this structure still continues. In 1971-1972, first students graduated from the Plant Protection Department.
Prof. Dr. Akif Kansu served as dean and founded the Çukurova University . Prof. Dr. Akif Kansu also served as dean of Faculty of Agriculture of Ankara University between 1988-1992.